The Daily Stormer — the site that sponsored the white nationalist protests in Charlottesville, Virginia this weekend — has apparently been under attack. It appeared that the hacker collective Anonymous took it over, then the site owners regained control, and then GoDaddy cancelled its domain registration. The GoDaddy part is true, but as I’ll show, the part about Anonymous is a hoax aimed at stupid and credulous people.
Be aware: I have directly quoted the site’s hate speech. If you don’t want to read that, skip this post.
The anonymous takeover is fake
Soon after one of the protestors drove a car into the counter-protest and killed a woman, a new blog post appeared on the Daily Stormer. The text is below. Does it sound credible to you?
END OF HATE: ANONYMOUS NOW IN CONTROL OF DAILY STORMER
THIS SITE IS NOW UNDER THE CONTROL OF ANONYMOUS
WE HAVE TAKEN THIS SITE IN THE NAME OF HEATHER HEYER A VICTIM OF WHITE SUPREMACIST TERRORISM
FOR TOO LONG THE DAILY STORMER AND ANDREW ANGLIN HAVE SPEWED THEIR PUTRID HATE ON THIS SITE
THAT WILL NOT BE HAPPENING ANYMORE
WE HAVE ALL OF THE DETAILS ON THE SERVERS AND WILL BE RELEASING THE DATA WHEN WE FEEL THE TIME IS RIGHT
WE HAVE ALSO GATHERED LOCATIONAL DATA ON ANGLIN HIMSELF AND ARE SENDING OUR ALLIES IN LAGOS TO PAY HIM A VISIT IN PERSON
THIS EVIL CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO STAND
IT TOOK A UNITED FORCE OF ELITE HACKERS FROM AROUND THE WORLD TO BREACH THE SYSTEMS AND THE FIREWALL
WE HAVE HAD THE DAILY STORMER IN OUR SITES FOR MONTHS NOW
THE EVENTS OF CHARLOTTESVILLE ALERTED US TO THE NEED FOR IMMEDIATE ACTION
WE WANT YOU NAZIS TO KNOW: YOUR TIME IS SHORT
WE WILL ALLOW THE SITE TO REMAIN ONLINE FOR 24 HOURS SO THE WORLD CAN WITNESS THE HATE
THEN WE WILL SHUT IT DOWN
HACKERS OF THE WORLD HAVE UNITED IN DEFENSE OF THE JEWISH PEOPLE
YOU SHOULD HAVE EXPECTED US
Because Anonymous is a loosely affiliated group of hackers, there’s no way to verify this. One of Anonymous’ main Twitter accounts said it was unaware of the hack. I think it was fake. Here’s why:
- The photos are generic. The top one comes from a YouTube video; the filename on the bottom one is “shutterstock_585259181.jpg,” and sure enough, it’s a standard stock photo you can buy from Shutterstock. Even if Anonymous would use stock photos like this, if they’re sophisticated enough to hack the site, they’re smart enough to change the obvious filename.
- “Hackers of the world have united in defense of the Jewish people.” Anonymous has taken on hate groups, but they’re not specifically set up to defend Jews. This could be a subgroup of Jewish or Israeli hackers . . . or it could be the owners of the Daily Stormer using a false flag to play to their readers’ anti-Semitic sentiments.
- “We have had the Daily Stormer in our sites for months now.” Interesting typo.
- The rest of the site continued to function normally. The Daily Stormer site functioned normally after the Anonymous “takeover” — all the other posts stayed up, as well as all the other messaging and ads on the site. If Anonymous hacked the site, why leave it functioning normally except for this one post?
- The timing is suspect. This post appeared just when GoDaddy said it would invalidate the domain registration, which would take the site off line. An Anonymous hack looks a lot more heroic than getting taken down for violating GoDaddy’s terms of service.
- The “we’re back” post is nowhere close to credible. This post is barely plausible. But only the dumbest readers would fall for the post that follows it.
The puerile post extolling Anglin’s heroics falls apart on a cursory evaluation
Soon after the supposed Anonymous takeover, Daily Stormer leader Andrew Anglin posted about regaining control of the site. Only the most credulous reader could possibly believe it. Let’s have a look. Again, I apologize for the slurs in here, which are directly quoted from the site.
Anglin Here. I’ve Retaken Control of the Site. The Daily Stormer Never Dies.
As you are no doubt aware, there was a brief disruption.
Some group from “Anonymous” hacked our server and took control of the site for several hours while I was sleeping, having been deprived during the Charlottesville event that I was covering around the clock.
I’m just leaving their post up, so if you haven’t seen it, go check it out.
It just goes to show that these people cannot do anything to us other than try to shut down our free speech.
To all those on the forum, don’t worry about you email addresses: that is hosted on a totally separate server that was not breached.
I’m sorry to everyone who was stressed-out by this event, but know this: they keep knocking us down, but we get right back up, bigger and stronger than before.
As I mentioned yesterday, the mainstream media was repeatedly quoting me, but trying not to name the site.
The Jew Jake Tapper read this statement without mentioning my name or the name of the site. So did many other networks.
Well, now we’re number two on Google News.
So much for shutting down any mention of us.
Nice try, Jews.
But we’ll get covered if we want to get covered, and in the wake of Charlottesville, it’s important that the public knows where to go to see what the people marching through those streets actually believe.
As for media rumors that the site will be shut down – don’t believe anything you hear in the fake news media. You should know better. It’s going to take bullets to stop us. Even then I swear to God I will climb up out of my grave and keep on shitposting against these Jews.
Repelling the Attack
During the hacking attack, weev and I were unable to contact our server host in Mongolia, as Mongolian people are lazy. So we had to do this the old fashioned way, and wrestle control back from Anonymous using traditional hacking methods.
At one point during the attack, weev and I were literally both typing on the same keyboard, and we bruteforce outwitted the Jewish Anonymous hackers.
It was literally like that scene from NCIS that everyone makes fun of.
I want to thank the Nigerian government for their help in literally flying weev into my base in Lagos in a helicopter. These brave Nigerians performed a feat that is illegal even in Nigeria and landed a military helicopter on the roof of my apartment building to get weev to me as fast as possible.
They also illegally entered both Turkish and Israeli airspace.
Nigerian military helicopter (FILE PHOTO)
Here’s the flightpath of the Nig-Chopper (Nigerian Military term, not mine):
weev’s flightpath to help me stop Anonymous hackers.
According to weev, Sudanese rebels shot a shoulder-launcher rocket at them when they entered rebel air space, but I think he’s trolling me.
Whether that’s true or not, this is definitely true: the Nigerian military is the real hero today, who saved this site.
I also want to thank directly Muhammadu Buhari, the President of Nigeria, who authorized this operation.
And that’s something that people who are calling me a hater need to think long and hard about.
If I am really a hater, then how did I make such good contact with the Nigerian government that they were willing to illegally violate Israeli airspace and risk getting shot down by Jews in order to get my website back online?
The fact of the matter is: I don’t hate anyone.
The only thing that I want – that any of us want – is to keep our own countries ours and not be replaced by an invading army of nonwhite immigrants.
The actual haters are the people who hate whites. The people who say that we as a race have to be wiped out. That while Africans get to keep Africa, Asians get to keep Asia and Arabs get to keep the Middle East (except for the parts the Jews stole), we are not allowed to keep our own countries. We’re not allowed to keep any country in Europe, we’re not allowed to keep America.
Everywhere, we are being flooded and overrun and told we have no right to exist.
That is the real hate.
These people are committing a genocide against us while they want to hunt us down for making jokes on the internet and claiming we have a right to exist.
We’re not going to take it lying down.
Death or glory.
In addition to being disgusting, this falls apart instantly on examination:
- It is 3,000 nautical miles from the Republic of Georgia to Lagos, Nigeria. No helicopter can fly that far. Even if it were possible, at the top speed of a helicopter the trip would take 15 hours.
- Only idiots try to use the same keyboard at the same time.
- The tale about the Nigerian government doesn’t pass the sniff test. Why would the Nigerian government fly white supremacists anywhere?
- Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari is under treatment for a serious illness in the UK right now. I’m sure helping white supremacist Web sites isn’t his first priority for what to concentrate on as he recovers.
- Do you really think Israelis would allow a Nigerian helicopter to enter their airspace without a challenge? And that no one would have read about it? That’s one amazing helicopter, with a 3000-mile range but stealthy enough to fly undetected above Israel. And why go out of your way to fly on that route anyway?
Despite the boasting, the site is now down. After GoDaddy yanked its domain registration, the site owners registered it with Google Domains, who also banned it.
Who believes these liars?
The conflict with a resurgent movement of racists, white supremacists, the KKK, the “alt-right,” and the rest of this toxic crowd is terrifying. Democrats and most Republicans have denounced them as hateful and outside the range of acceptable rhetoric. But who are these folks?
I’m sure a bunch of them are cosplaying for hate. And based on the ludicrous fairy tales posted on the Daily Stormer, it’s hard to believe that anyone is buying this crap.
Anyone who thinks, even for a moment, has to recognize that sites like this appeal, not just to the hateful, but to the stupid.
The natural tendency, confronted with people who behave like this, is to look away. I will not look away. I want to understand them. But really, if your leaders are this blatantly manipulative and fake, why are you still buying this stuff?
I’d be grateful for any explanation.
(Please note that I will delete any comments that are hateful or abusive and don’t add to the dialogue.)