I give you the courage to say what you mean
I help companies, organizations, and people to express themselves boldly and clearly. There are two parts to this:
- I help you to clarify what you actually mean.
- I help you find the right words to say it.
Here are some of the ways that I can help. For more information, email me at josh at bernoff dotcom.
I conduct courses to train your staff in clear and powerful writing.
statements of purpose
Small companies often have difficulty articulating their value clearly and succinctly. I help companies clarify their purpose, mission, vision, and identity. This includes developing a clear, simple statement that will inspire both your customers and your staff.
If you’re working on a high-value piece of content — a report, a presentation, a Web site — you need to create impact. I edit at a high level, improving concepts, organization, expression, and language. I also help you create models and frameworks for future content. I have edited mission statements, web copy, over 100 research reports, and three books, including Dave Carroll’s United Breaks Guitars.
You’re onto something, but you’re not sure what. I can help you figure out your angle. More than positioning, I’ll help you figure out who or what you are, and what you’re really talking about. I was vice president, Idea Development at Forrester Research; this was my job.
title jams for book titles and product names
I’m not NameLab but I can get you started. I’ll convene a title jam, corral your best concepts, and come up with a title that fits your book or product — and stands out on Google and Amazon. You can read my philosophy on naming things. Here’s some stuff I named:
- Book titles I coined working with my book teams: Groundswell, Empowered, Outside In, Digital Disruption, and The Mobile Mind Shift. In a recent title jam, we picked the title for Shel Israel’s new book, Lethal Generosity.
- The Impertinent Economist (Len Burman’s blog)
- Technographics (Forrester’s data product)
- Splinternet (a research concept about how devices and paywalls fragment the open Internet)
- POST method (acronym for a social strategy framework featured in Groundswell: People, Objectives, Strategy, Technology)
- IDEA cycle (acronym for a mobile strategy framework featured in The Mobile Mind Shift: Identify, Design, Engineer, Analyze)
- HERO (acronym for “highly empowered and resourceful operative,” our term for empowered employees in Empowered)
- PVR (personal video recorder — a device like TiVo)