Here’s the five-step plan for what to do when you get a piece of writing back with infuriating comments:
- Read comments and suggestions from editor.
- Get annoyed that editor is finding fault and making stupid suggestions on how to change perfectly good prose.
- Figure out what problem set the editor off.
- Rewrite to fix the problem.
- Shout “So there!” to the void.
Note that the process is the same when dealing with intelligent and thoughtful editors.
Advanced writers can save time and angst by skipping step 2.